Our First Taste of Ethiopia
I wish I could do Ethiopia justice describing it with words; unfortunately it is an all-encompassing experience. You drive down makeshift streets packed with cars and lined with people walking…and try as you may you will never figure out where…they are just always walking. Then you get a whiff of the permanent fragrance that is floating above Addis, it’s a mixture of burning eucalyptus leaves and roadside fires…it’s lovely and intoxicating! And as you drive taking it all in… a strange surprise appears next to the car either one of the thousands of donkeys making their way through Addis or a heard of goats trying to make it across the street in one piece. But my favorite thing about Addis was its soundtrack, day or night beautiful music leaked from the churches and filled the air. I kept telling myself to remember every detail so that I can tell Garrett what a beautiful and unique place he is from. The people are kind and loving to each other and you can see their closeness in just about everything they do. For example a bus almost hit us one day, and as the cars slid to a halt both drivers rolled down their windows (I fully expected our driver to yell at the bus driver for not paying attention) instead they greeted each other with a blessing, smiled, and said good day…I was shocked…. I mean really… who does that?! But as time went on I realized Ethiopians are just kind gentle people and they all do that. It is such a unique culture filled with such beauty and simplicity. It’s amazing to see markets on street corners selling produce off of sheets spread out on the ground, and next to it a tin shack that sells the latest cds and dvds. It’s a wonderful mixture of ancient and new, Ethiopia gets to you and you leave feeling like it’s a part of you or that you are now a part of it…we can’t wait to go back!
Produce Market
Just a pic of the traffic

And some of the goats....






No comments:
Post a Comment