4 month update
Garrett has been a member of our family now for 4 months…. time sure flies!
Here is a glimpse of how the adjustment process has been and where we are at as of late.
The question I get almost every time I run into some one is “how is he adjusting?” I in turn give the short answer “He is a adjusting.” Which he is, but I always think to myself…. what a strange question…and do people really what the detailed answer? So for those of you who are curious…I will attempt to answer this question.
Adjustment:
When he first got home he had a horrible time with sleep…he had anxiety attacks and would basically flip out at the mention of sleep. I can happily say that now he LOVES his sleep! He has this fabulous noise machine that plays rain sounds and he doses right to sweet slumber and sleeps 2-3 hours @ naptime and all through the night.
As far as food goes (another popular question) he is doing much better, he used to shovel food in his mouth so fast that he would choke or make himself sick…but now he enjoys his food…he eats slower and pretty much anything we give him. Although he would prefer a diet of meat and bread…typical boy!
Socially, he is just now out and about on a regular basis…. we kept his life pretty uneventful for the first 3 months; we didn’t even leave him with a sitter or take him to church. But he is doing really well now with more social interaction. He still looses it sometimes but for the most part he enjoys being out and about. With the exception of Costco…for some reason the wholesale freaks him out!
There have been some rough moments with him; he had a long period of mourning the loss of what his life was; and a difficult time adjusting to the idea of allowing someone to care for him. But all of his “difficult” behaviors are for the most part gone. One thing that he used to do that has fully disappeared; was when he was stressed or upset, he would scratch at his head and didn’t want to be held or consoled. Now when he gets hurt, scared or stressed he runs to Scott or me for snuggles! Which is HUGE to say the least!
It’s amazing that it’s been only 4 months, we feel like we have been in the adoptive parent trenches for so long now! But I am happy to say that we are out of the thick of it and can look back and with a sigh of relief say “we all made it!” Garrett is such a blessing, and is more joy than we could have ever imagined! Each month gets so much better and he opens up more of himself to us…. we are really enjoying getting to know him and look so forward of what is to come!
Here is a glimpse of how the adjustment process has been and where we are at as of late.
The question I get almost every time I run into some one is “how is he adjusting?” I in turn give the short answer “He is a adjusting.” Which he is, but I always think to myself…. what a strange question…and do people really what the detailed answer? So for those of you who are curious…I will attempt to answer this question.
Adjustment:
When he first got home he had a horrible time with sleep…he had anxiety attacks and would basically flip out at the mention of sleep. I can happily say that now he LOVES his sleep! He has this fabulous noise machine that plays rain sounds and he doses right to sweet slumber and sleeps 2-3 hours @ naptime and all through the night.
As far as food goes (another popular question) he is doing much better, he used to shovel food in his mouth so fast that he would choke or make himself sick…but now he enjoys his food…he eats slower and pretty much anything we give him. Although he would prefer a diet of meat and bread…typical boy!
Socially, he is just now out and about on a regular basis…. we kept his life pretty uneventful for the first 3 months; we didn’t even leave him with a sitter or take him to church. But he is doing really well now with more social interaction. He still looses it sometimes but for the most part he enjoys being out and about. With the exception of Costco…for some reason the wholesale freaks him out!
There have been some rough moments with him; he had a long period of mourning the loss of what his life was; and a difficult time adjusting to the idea of allowing someone to care for him. But all of his “difficult” behaviors are for the most part gone. One thing that he used to do that has fully disappeared; was when he was stressed or upset, he would scratch at his head and didn’t want to be held or consoled. Now when he gets hurt, scared or stressed he runs to Scott or me for snuggles! Which is HUGE to say the least!
It’s amazing that it’s been only 4 months, we feel like we have been in the adoptive parent trenches for so long now! But I am happy to say that we are out of the thick of it and can look back and with a sigh of relief say “we all made it!” Garrett is such a blessing, and is more joy than we could have ever imagined! Each month gets so much better and he opens up more of himself to us…. we are really enjoying getting to know him and look so forward of what is to come!
3 comments:
Praise the Lord! What a journey you guys have been on! Love you!
wow! Thanks for sharinf that. It's something you don't seem to hear alot of and I think it's so helpful and important to hear all of it. The joys and the struggles! Whata cool journey and a blessing he is!
I stumbled along your blog oh, about 4 months ago! You'd just gotten home and were sharing the details of your adoption. At that time we were adopting through India and something deep within me wanted to go to Ethiopia instead but we'd sign papers already. Long story short- something changed with India and the girls we'd been unofficially on hold for were adopted out and we immediately switched to Ethiopia. I love your story, the fun and the truth! Thank you for sharing Garrett and Regan with us.
Post a Comment