Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Chronicles of Ethiopia- The End

Our Trip Home

Well the last day of our time in Ethiopia arrived, I woke up excited to go home yet sad to leave. Even after what seemed like weeks of emotional torture I suddenly felt like our time was there was to short. Being there amongst simplicity is really quit amazing, something about it stirs your soul…you become attached and almost comfortable. It had been 4 years since I had been out of the States and I forgot how much I love to be in an unfamiliar place. I like exploring the new, meeting people who live so differently than me; eating their food learning their culture, and listening to their language. Traveling to other cultures puts life in perspective… we really live abundantly. As we were packing and gearing up to leave that evening a new family arrived, I couldn’t help but think how their week in Ethiopia would forever change them as it had changed us. For those who have been there and experienced it you know what I am talking about, for those of you who haven’t had that wonderful experience…. you should go…. it will be life changing I promise! 7 pm rolled around and Solomon came to get us and take us to the airport, and once again I had to fight back tears; only this time I was sad to leave and so excited to get home all at the same time. Our flight into Amsterdam was uneventful and kinda nice… Garrett slept most of it. In Amsterdam we made our way to the baby lounge, this wonderful place for weary travelers with children. The lounge was dimly lit with soft music playing and private areas for families to relax before the next grueling flight. I cannot say enough how wonderful it was!! The next flight was rough Garrett didn’t sleep he screamed a lot and I was on hour 22 with no sleep. But we did make it to Detroit where we passed through customs officially making Garrett a permanent resident of the good ol’ US of A. By this time every time I stood I felt as though I were rocking and about to kill over at any given minute. Scott and I kept giving ourselves pep-talks saying “Its only a 3 ½ hour flight we can do it!” Let me just say that was the LONGEST 3 ½ hours of my life!! When we landed in AZ I could barely walk so Scott lugged Garrett and our stuff out to meet our family. Our first sights were of My Dad, Mom, Rachel, and Tyler waiting to greet us. Scott’s family including Reagan was still in California. We were so happy to be home!! That night Scott and I passed out and actually slept all night! The next day was the day our family would be reunited as a family of 4…. Reagan was coming home! When she got home it was all I could do to not squeeze her to death!!! She gave us hugs and kisses and met her brother. Their meeting was precious; she gave him a kiss on the head and said “Hi brover” our hearts melted. And there you have it…our journey to Ethiopia and back, the journey of a lifetime and then some!

Baby Lounge

If you look closely you can see Garrett in the crib...Scott got a break from holding him :)


First pic of Garrett in the USA ( we were in the family restroom..go figure!)


First time in a carseat!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: